EISENHOWER HIGH SCHOOL
PHYSICAL EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
The physical education teachers hope that you will achieve a greater appreciation and higher level of physical fitness through your physical education experience. This handout contains information that will help you better understand what is expected of you in our physical education program.
The following dress requirements have been adopted to maintain consistency of dress in the department and USD 265. All students are required to dress appropriately for physical education classes.
- P.E. Uniform: light colored T-shirt; shorts – dark colored (e.g. black, navy, or blue). SHORTS MUST HAVE AT LEAST A 6 INCH INSEAM OR BE LONGER THAN MID-THIGH – NO EXCEPTIONS. NO TANK TOPS, CUT OFFS, BLOUSE, SWEATERS OR JEANS – SWEATS ARE ACCEPTABLE
- Shoes should be any gym or tennis type shoes with a non-marking sole. Socks of any length are acceptable.
- Gloves will not be worn to physical education classes except for weight lifting specific gloves.
- Students not dressing for class will still be required to participate in all activities.
- Bracelets, necklaces, and looped earrings should not be worn during class.
All items are to be permanently labeled in your name. This includes anything kept in your gym locker. This will ensure lost items being returned to their proper owner.
LOCKS AND LOCKERS:
- Each student will be checked out a lock and assigned a small locker. Your lock is your responsibility. Big lockers are to be used only during your class period. All items should be placed in your small locker at the end of class. LOCK YOUR LOCKERS.
- Do not share your locker or share your combination with anyone. Items should not be left lying around unattended at any time during or after class.
- NO FOOD OR DRINK may be brought into class or locker room or consumed during the class. You will be asked to throw any food or drink items into the trash.
- Do not bring valuables to class.
- Do not use any electronic equipment in any of the physical education rooms including cell phones, radios/Ipods and laser pointers.
The following grading scale will be used for grades in physical education. This scale is consistent with all other subject areas.
A=100-90%, B=89-80%, C=79-70%, D=69-60%, F=59% and below
- A daily grade will be given to each student every day.
- Daily grade is worth 10 points per day and is based on the following:
- Absent/Injury/Illness Report
- Tardy to Class
- Required Uniform
- Non-Suits may not be made up
- Make up work will be available by your teacher for excused absences only each semester.
Objectives of the class can be met through regular attendance and participation. Performance will be measured daily by attendance, dressing properly for class and participation in the activity. You will be required to bring paper and pencil/pen from time to time to class. Your teacher will share his or her own expectations and policies with you at the beginning of the year. These may vary from class to class.
- Fitness Tests
- Written Tests
*Students are expected to attend class and participate daily*
ATTENDANCE AND TARDIES:
- All students will be in the locker room before the tardy bell rings.
- Tardies will be handled as follows:
- 1st Tardy – warning issued by teacher and a partial loss of daily points (3 of 10).
- 2nd Tardy – Teacher phones parent, documents, and partial loss of daily points (3).
- 3rd Tardy – Referral sent to administrator – (assigned 1 hour administrative detention to be served after school).
- All students are to be dressed and ready for class – 5 minutes after the tardy bell has rung. Students are to remain in the locker room after they get dressed for P.E.
- A parent note is required if a student is to be excused from participation in class. Extended absences from class due to illness or injury are to be handled on a case by case basis working with administration, parent and teacher to find a workable solution to the extended absence situation.
- Excused tardies are through the office or teacher written pass only.
- Early dismissal from class is through the office with written pass only.
- All absences from class require a makeup assignment consisting of a 500 word hand written essay over a health, sport or fitness related topic.
- You are not to leave the gym for any reason without permission.
- All students are to remain in the locker room at the end of class until dismissed by the teacher.
- All students are expected to be to class on time, suit out in the required P.E. uniform, and participate with classmates in a positive environment. Students that do not suit out are expected to participate in all class activities. Non-participation is with excused note only.
- All students are expected to follow teacher instructions and stay on task for the entire class period.
- Failure to comply with teacher’s instructions will result in the following:
- First Offense - Loss of Daily Points
- Second Offense - Loss of Daily Points / Parent Notification
- Third Offense - Loss of Daily Points / Discipline Referral to Administration
DAILY GRADING PROCEDURE
0 – (0%) Absent or no attempt to participate.
2 – (20%) Irresponsibility - Does not come prepared to class, limited participation.
4 – (40%) Needs Attention – Listens to instructions and explanations when reminded. Follows rules, routines, and procedures for safety when directly supervised. Participates when encouraged to do so. Needs support of the teacher to work with others and has difficulty resolving conflicts.
6 – (60%) Satisfactory – Listens to instructions and explanations, generally follows rules, routines, and procedures for safety. Willing to participate in most tasks. Evidence that confidence in developing. Works with others and, when given support, will take on the responsibility for assigned roles. Generally plays fairly and interacts safely with equipment.
8 – (80%) Good – Consistently listens to instructions and explanations, follows rules, routines, and procedures of safety. Willingly participate, showing confidence and a positive attitude toward physical activity. Works co-operatively, assumes responsibility for assigned roles, and provides encouragement to others. Plays fairly and interacts safely with equipment.
10 – (100%) Outstanding – Listens intently to instructions and explanations, providing support to classmates when appropriate. Follows rules, routines, and procedures for safety. Exhibits a positive attitude, high level of participation, and willingly tries new task in confident manner. Works with others cooperatively and collaboratively supports students of diverse skills, abilities and cultural backgrounds. Provides classmates with positive constructive feedback. Demonstrates etiquette and fair play. Interacts with others and with equipment safely. Displays leadership skills and assumes responsibility for assigned roles.